Toll Free: (888) 530-2286

There are two groups of ways to apply for a green card for professors and scholars.

  1. Green Card through Self Petition

    There are two routes to a green card where one is not required to have a job offer and may self-petition based on achievements and ability (an employer sponsorship is not required). The twin self-petitioned routes are most commonly utilized by postdoctoral scholars, scientists holding visiting or grant-funded appointment, self-employed individuals, and others whose employers cannot sponsor them.

    These categories are:

    • EB1A Extraordinary Ability for individuals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics;

      This is an eligibility category reserved for the “high achievers” in their field. Examples of who may be considered include Nobel Prize winners, world class athletes, award winning artists, and others who have achieved great successes in their field.

    • EB2 for individuals who were granted a National Interest Waiver (NIW).

  2. Green Card through Employment

    There are two popular routes to a green card. Both categories need to be sponsored by the Employer (cannot self petition).

    These categories are:

    • EB1B Outstanding Professor or Researcher

      This is an eligibility category reserved for the “high achievers” in their field.

    • PERM labor certification

      As a pre-step to filing an I-140 immigrant petition, the employer has to conduct a test of the labor market to prove that there are not sufficient U.S. workers who are able, willing, or equally qualified to do the work needed.

    • PERM Special Handling Labor Certification

      Professors, instructors, and lecturers at any post-secondary educational institution may be eligible for an expedited type of labor certification application called "Special Handling," by demonstrating that the teaching faculty is better qualified than any U.S. citizen or permanent resident applicant for the position. The application for special handling labor certification must be filed within 18 months of the selection of the alien "pursuant to a competitive recruitment and selection process."

      This category is an excellent option for academics who do not qualify for EB1B Outstanding Professors or Researchers, or for those who do not want to prepare a research portfolio.


I just want to let you know that I received my green card today and my wife's green card is on the way. I am amazed of how fast they approved my petition. You did a wonderful and very professional job, I will be forever grateful with you. BTW I refer a friend of mine with you, his name is XYZ. He is a very nice guy. Thanks again for you great job.

View all Testimonials

Contact us today

Law Office of Vivian Wang
780 Roosevelt, Suite 87
Irvine, CA 92620

Tel: (888) 530-2286

DISCLAIMER: Information contained on this site is intended to educate the general public only and does not constitute legal advice. Readers are encouraged to seek advice and counsel from a law firm with experience in immigration and nationality law.