Toll Free: (888) 530-2286


Outstanding professor/researcher (EB-1B) is an achievement-based opportunity for a green card. This category is for professors and researchers who are recognized internationally as outstanding in his or her academic field.


  • No Labor Certification Required. This classification is critical for people who wish to bypass the lengthy labor certification process. Extraordinary Ability petitions take anywhere from one month to about eight months to get approved.
  • EB-1 (employment-based 1st preference) quota is not backlogged. This is important to people from countries such as China and India.

Services We Provide

EB1 Outstanding Professor or Researcher is our specialty! We have been working on Outstanding Professor/Researcher cases for nearly two decades. The success rate for the past 16 years is 100%. Please contact us for a free evaluation by emailing your full CV to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

The usual progression from EB1 Outstanding Professor or Researcher to Green Card

Please click here to see a flowchart demonstration of the process from the beginning to receiving a Green Card.

Read more about EB1 Outstanding Professor or Researcher

Could EB1 Extraordinary Ability Work for You?

  • Do you hold a tenure-track faculty position or have a permanent job offer?
  • Has your employee agreed to sponsor you?
  • Do you have three years of experience in teaching or research in the academic area? (TA or RA experience can be counted while working on advanced degree if degree is acquired, and if the person had full responsibility for the class taught or if the research has been recognized as outstanding in the academic field)?
  • Are you internationally recognized as "outstanding" in a specific academic field?

Interpreting "Internationally recognized as outstanding”

Evidence that the professor or researcher is recognized as outstanding in the academic field must include at least two of the following:

  • Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement;
  • Membership in an association which requires outstanding achievement;
  • Published material in professional publications written by others about the applicant’s work
  • Evidence of the person’s participation as a judge of the work of others;
  • Evidence of original scientific research;
  • Authorship of scholarly books or articles in the field.

Additional Notes

  • This category requires a "permanent" job offer. In other words, a visiting professor, or a postdoctoral researcher, or students would not be able to use this category
  • This category has to be "sponsored" by the employer. It cannot be self-petitioned
  • Timing of application: worker can apply as soon as job offer is received. There is no need to first wait for H1B approval.

The Typical Documents Needed for EB1 Outstanding Professor or Researcher

  • Copy of contract between university (company) and alien (offer letter)
  • Letter(s) documenting at least 3 years experience in teaching or research in the field
  • CV including updated Publications List
  • Copy of published journal articles or book chapters
  • Entries in citation indexes
  • Documentation of peer-reviewed presentations
  • Documentation of award/prize/grant received
  • Evidence of media coverage of your work
  • Evidence of invitations you may have received to participate in conferences, to submit papers or to review work of other scientists, including documentation of participation as a reviewer, judge, on a panel or individually of work of others in the same field
  • Information on elected/nominated professional membership
  • Support letters


I just want to let you know that I received my green card today and my wife's green card is on the way. I am amazed of how fast they approved my petition. You did a wonderful and very professional job, I will be forever grateful with you. BTW I refer a friend of mine with you, his name is XYZ. He is a very nice guy. Thanks again for you great job.

View all Testimonials

Contact us today

Law Office of Vivian Wang
780 Roosevelt, Suite 87
Irvine, CA 92620

Tel: (888) 530-2286

DISCLAIMER: Information contained on this site is intended to educate the general public only and does not constitute legal advice. Readers are encouraged to seek advice and counsel from a law firm with experience in immigration and nationality law.